My blog

Sunday, March 07, 2010

time management and overtime

Went PS for some window shopping today after my lesson and found that there is a wine fair going on there. The wine fair is a 14days (1st-14th Mar) event organized by Carrefour. Went around to try free samples and bought 3 moscato there. Wanted to buy more but one is out of stock and the other (icewine) doesn't have sample to try out. So didn't buy because I am afraid that it will turn out to be too sweet. Also can't find any german riseling and cienna there. Heard from ppl that german rieshling is very nice and wanted to try it. Its a shame that its not availble there.

Its another busy week for me. Looks like its always busy week for me and I thought its not right. Something is wrong. Attended a 1 day time management course with my lab and another lab. Learnt some useful tips about time management. I thought the course isn't conducted as well as I expect it to be. Maybe its because I read a supplement lecture note material the night before the course and was q.impressed by it. The note is based on "Eat that frog!" by Brian Tracy and I thought its interesting and enlightening.

From the notes and course, I realise that some of the things that I have done is actually done "sub-optimally". I think this is because I didn't have the right resource to do my work! For example, I should go for training about a system-A before I start working on the system-A. But due to some crop up, the training was delayed and I have to start working on the system-A before attending the training. Another example, I am suppose to do some estimation about system-A but I didn't have the development environment to work on it. I only have the code to do the estimation. From the mathematical point of view, suppose working on the system is a function F and resources needed are the inputs (i.e.: manpower, time, approperiate skillset, right equipment/tools,..etc). To simplify, I denote it as 4 inputs as shown below:

F(manpower, time, approperiate skillset, right equipment/tools) = solution

a 4 input variables is enough for me to solve for 1 variable which make up 5 variables altogether. But now I only have 2 known variables (manpower and time). How to solve the problem?? though its not that it can't be solved but it won't be efficient because

F(manpower, time) = skillset

then use skillset o/p into F(manpower, time, approperiate skillset, right equipment/tools). So need we have 3 known instead of 4 at the expense of time and that is what I am doing right now...