My blog

Sunday, November 01, 2009

xmlvm

Came across an interesting video while I was searching for solution that can allow me to use applet ipod touch. From what I know, there is no solution to access applet on web page using mobile devices. This is because there is no JVM on those mobile devices. The video that I mentioned is a google tech talk video that presents on the idea of xmlvm.




The reason why this videos interests me is because of the lack of JVM on mobile device, this xmlvm concept can cross-compile java class files into objective-C code. Objective-C code is the programming code that is used on ipod touch and iphone, two of the best mobile gadgets in the market now. Besides able to cross-compile from java to Objective-C, xmlvm is capable of cross-compiling between a few other language and platform.

This make me think of "translating" the applet into objective-C code and put them into ipod touch to run. This idea seems technically possible but there are some things need to be sort out before it can be realised. Some things like communication between the original applet and the server, the applet code decompiled was obfuscated and amendment is difficult, limitation of xmlvm to do the cross-compilation and etc...

Looking at the amount of work involve really discouraged me. Guess I should look for other easier alternatives. One of the thing that I am looking at is to replay the packets sent from applet to server. Replay isn't really the solution because of the security mechanism embedded into server (seq num checks). But the idea is what I am looking at. Maybe I can write my objective-c program that can fake the server to believe its her applet that is communicating with them. And if thats possible, my work will be greatly reduced and left with "deciphering" the content of the content send back from server.